Saturday, February 22, 2014

Attempting Pinterest Crafting with Crayon Candles




*disclaimer* this is not a recommended method to making diy candles. Use my mistakes and poor planning and go from there...



I browse pinterest quite often (it is kind of an addiction) and I find most crafts and recipes to be quite doable. I had been browing and happened upon diy crayon candles. So being in a Kindergarten classroom with an excess of broken, abused, and unwanted crayons I became inspired to rescue those rejected crayons nibs and repurpose them to beautiful candle creations that I would give as Christmas presents. I would be praised for my craftiness, my creativity, and my ability to help the environment. I was inspired by many crayon posts. 




For a few weeks I collected crayon bits and when I felt I had enough I went shopping at goodwill to find suitable teacups to hold the candle. I got out of there just under $10 with 4 teacups, 1 striped dog bowl, 6 silver goblets, and 2 glass vases. On a Sunday afternoon I got crafting. The instructions were to first remove the paper sleeve from the crayons. To do this I was to put the crayons in a cold bath of water and the paper would just easily slip off... This was true of most of the crayons but the cheaper (non-crayola) brands were glued on and so I had to use my nails to scrape off the excess paper. Thus ruining the very rare manicure I was then sporting. Then the instructions led me to melting the crayons in the microwave. This step was quite easy and only once was I fearful of an explosion. I then followed instructions to allow the mixture to melt for a moment in the teacup then place the wick in the center. Once the candle had hardened it would be ready!



So easy right... not quite. Have you ever taken a look at the pinterest fail blog. If you haven't take a look at it next. The blog will make any aspiring crafter feel a bit better about their failures.  When you are done reading this post click here for Pinterest Fails!  The candles themselves looked adorable but I soon discovered that they didn't work. I would light the wicks and they would burn for about a minute then go out. Turns out all those people who made crayon candles lied! They stink like beef and cheese! Candle wax clogs up the wick and will not sustain a flame. I did some further research and discovered you need to mix real wax with the crayon wax. At this point I was burnt out but I went to Joannes anyway to buy clear wax. They were out. So I quit for the day (the week). 









When I returned to the project I purchased new wicks, a block of clear wax, a positive attitude, and determination. What I didn't have was a way to melt the huge block of wax. So I set up an elaborate aluminum foil system over my le creuset (not just for making roasts). I melted the wax a little bit at a time and added the clear wax to the existing crayon wax. Once I had filled each candle container I then had to remelt and the wax entirely so the two types of wax would mix. I tried the microwave method at first but forgot about the metal circle that holds the wicks...(shh don't tell hub I almost killed the microwave). 




So then I decided to put water in the bottom of the le creuset and heat the slowly candles with steam and heat. This method did work however my fingers were not  happy to grab hot items that spilled hot wax. Eventually the project came to an end there was nothing more I could do but hope they all work. They didn't... but luckily that candle went to my eternally positive and encouraging friend. She reacted the same way any Mom would upon receiving popsicle stick ornaments for Christmas. Many of the other ones did work. I kept 4 for myself as a reward for my hard work and gave away the rest as presents. They were well received. 



Most helpful candle making tips:

  • Do not begin unless you have all the right equipment 
  • Use crayons as a colorant 
  • Essential oils add great scent to homemade candles
  • Use an iron and a paper towel to clean up any wax spills
  • Buy shredded wax not a block (unless you have a method for melting)
  • Do not add wicks until you are absolutely positive you are done 
  • Shop for candle molds at your local goodwill or thrift store
  • Research several pinterest posts before you dive in
  • Reassure your husband that you are not destroying your kitchen with wax 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog