Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Hutch Updates ~ Episode One: Knobs




When I moved to Colorado from Illinois I had very little furniture. I had a dresser and a desk which I jigsawed into my SUV for the move out here. I filled every crevasse with books, shoes, and clothes. Initially my roommates were given loaner furniture from a friend. Unfortunately those loaners didn't live at our house for long, including an awesome vintage hutch. Oh how I pined for that turquoise hutch. I have had hutch envy every since (just check my pinterest boards). But it was better in the long run because I know the longer that piece stayed at our house the more attached I would have gotten. Without a hutch my roommates and I were in desperate need of some kitchen storage. So I went on the hunt to craigslist. I made contact with a man who was getting a divorce and wanted to rid himself of anything his wife liked before she could get it. It was a sad situation but he was selling the hutch for cheap. Make lemonade! Amanda and I drove out to east Fort Collins and loaded the hutch ourselves! We don't need boys! That $150 craigslist find then went on to live in 2 rentals with my pre-marriage roommates and finally to the Burrow with my post-marriage roommate. The hutch has been needing some updating for quite some time. It has bead board and glass windows but also has a honey wood accent that has a bit of a 90's feel. It also has inexpensive geometric wood knobs. A little at a time I have been subtracting knobs and adding new ones. 




I started with glass knobs my sister Chelly brought back from India. She paid pennies for them compared to the average 6-8 dollars they would cost here! I have placed my order for her next trip home. I put the round knobs on the drawers to the hutch. I then added ribbon shaped pulls to the doors on the hutch. 


I struggled with having the knobs me a bit mis-matched but I realized I hate conformity and I'd much rather do what I want. 




The knobs give the hutch a fresh new look.

The final effect (please excuse the mess) 


The next step is to find a decorative decal to cover the three squares and to paint. I plan on leaving the hutch white and paint the shelf and the top. It is on the to do list. 







No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog