Saturday, April 12, 2014

Prepping for a yard remodel

The beginning of a long journey to outdoor living bliss...  
It is spring time and thoughts of grilled kabobs and tasty watermelon dance through our heads. We imagine sitting in our yard surrounded by fresh grass and fresh flowers. Our garden is blooming and our puppy is obediently chewing on a toy. But...it is just a dream and we are very far from this dream.
Our current backyard state is livable but not pretty. We have spotty grass and uneven terrain. There are random cable cords hanging from our fence and the fence itself needs repair.  Let me share with your our task list...

To do list 

Clean up leaves and yard waste
Till and make yard level
Sod 
Build Patio 
Build Planter Boxes
Add ground cover and foliage to plantable areas
Add Furniture 
Plant a vegetable garden 
Move fence 
Add lighting 
Decorate with unnecessary but adorable items

Hub and I decided that I would be queen of the backyard. The responsibility of making this list happen would mostly fall on me. Now there are a few items that are a bit impossible for me to accomplish (construction, heavy lifting, power tool usage...) I will need hub to assist me in these areas but for now I can begin with something I can do - rake leaves. I spent an afternoon raking up a years worth of leaves. I don't think the previous owners ever did yard work. Now when it comes to raking leaves I believe it is an excellent ab workout but what I don't understand is why hasn't anyone invented a reasonable way to get the leaves from the pile into the bag. It seems so strange that a better method does not exist. I scoop up the leaves and attempt to get them into the bag and half of the leaves end up back on the ground. Oh the feelings of defeat that come from a solo leaf raker. Eventually all the leaves were removes and bagged into 9 trash bags. I feel very accomplished! The yard starts to look new. We are ready and motivated to keep this process going. 

Take a look at all the before shots.  Soon this yard will be burrowed...





No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog