Saturday, April 19, 2014

Updating an outdated Bathroom Vanity

We recently jumped into our bathroom model. After coming upon an amazing tile deal we decided to retile our bathroom a little earlier than planned. And since we would have to remove the vanity anyway for the tile job why not update that at the same time.
The question is brand new or update the existing. After many trips to home depot, lowes, and ikea we decided that a brand new vanity was not within the budget. Our original vanity was fine but it lacked sufficient storage and had our favorite golden wood color. We decided to purge instead of worry about storage and paint over that golden brown.
We were in the process of retiling so we had to take the vanity our anyway. This made the job much easier and faster. First we unhooked the the sink components and pulled off the existing counter top. Countertop is held on by caulk and adhesive it is not as difficult as you think to remove. Hub carried the sink out to the garage and put the vanity in the living room so I could set up shop. 

To paint I will be using Annie Sloan CHALK PAINT - Paris Grey ($40). See my post on CHALK PAINT to see my research on Chalk Paint.
I got out my trusty took kit and removed the doors and hardware. 
Chalk paint goes on very smoothly. It covered imperfections and has thick coverage. I do two coats of paint and let it dry overnight. 

I then add a wax coat. I use Maison Blanche brown wax ($30). I use a show polish horse hair brush to apply the wax directly onto the chalk paint. I rub it on in a circular motion, making sure to get in all the nooks.

Once the chalk paint has been covered I open up a can of MINWAX Finishing Wax ($7). I use a rag to pull out a palm full of wax at a time. I rub the clear wax onto the brown wax. The clear wax is a bonding agent that pulls the brown wax off. You use the clear wax to wipe away excess brown wax leaving behind the aged look. You can do this until you have your desired look. 


The final result is a expensive looking piece with unique details. Total cost $75 for paint supplies (but I used less than half of chalk paint and about a quarter of both waxes). We returned the vanity back to the bathroom and went shopping for finishing touches. 


3 comments:

  1. Is it okay to post part of this on my website basically post a hyperlink to this webpage?
    marble floor tile

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog