Friday, August 1, 2014

Chalk Paint Experiment: Patio Cushions

I am sure crafty dare devils have been painting fabric cushions for eons but I just discovered this clever little trick. We were the proud owners of a nasty set of patio cushions. We are ashamed to say that we grossly neglected them. We left them out side all winter (twice). At this point a new set was needed. So I got to researching cheaper, craftier options.






I weighed my options: 
sew new covers (way too much work)
chalk paint ($$$)
spray paint ($$)
latex ($)
buy new ones ($$$$$$$)

I am in a pickle, every option is expensive or time consuming. After researching I found that the best method for painting was chalk paint, but I wasn't about to be spending $40 a quart for a endeavor that might not work, and for cushions we will probably replace next year. So why not make my own chalk paint. It seems everyone else is doing it. There are tons of chalk paint diyers out there. I will just copy them. So I purchased a reject can of grey paint (50% off). Mixed up a recipe of chalk paint and got to work. 

Before

After


To start - each cushion was first cleaned with soapy water. While I allowed the cushions to dry I mixed up a chalk paint cocktail. I stirred together 3 cups of paint, 1 cup of warm water, a 1 cup of plaster of paris. Before I applied the paint mixture I used a spray bottle to moisten the fabric. I painted over the moistened area. The water allows the paint to settle into the fabric instead of just resting on top. The first layer will be thin and will dry almost opaque in areas. 




I had to paint the cushions in phases. Painting a cushion on all sides cannot be done at once. I started by completely painting on side at a time. Once both sides were dry and completed I then started on the sides. I could only do three sides at a time and each side needed 2-3 coats. Once areas were completely I lightly sanded the painted area. This is due to the chalk paint mixture. Most chalk paint processes call for a sanding in between coats. This is because chalk paint (especially home made kind) has a grainy texture from the plaster of paris. You can sand out the grainy texture leaving the paint feeling soft and smooth. After sanding I repeated this process two more times applying two  to three more coats to each section. When painting fabric you need to make sure to press paint into the creased and seam lines. The entire painting process took several days to complete. After the final sanding I applied a clear polyurethane furniture wax by MinWax. 

I highly recommend using a old lazy susan to help your painting job. The cushions were awkward to hold. I used the lazy susan to turn the cushion so I could get to those hard to reach spots without hurting my back.  

Then I set 4 cushions to the side to add a decorative pattern. For the patterns I used 4 latex paint colors to make a broad paint strokes pattern that went in different directions. I started with the darkest color then as each layer of strokes dried I added another set of paint strokes. After I had completed 4 layers of strokes. I added another layer of MinWax. 

For the other cushion patterns I used a yellow paint to add a moroccan stencil pattern. I used a small brush to lightly brush the paint in. I found when I used a larger brush the paint ended up smearing under the stencil. 












The cushions have been outside for a month. The paint stands up great to the elements. The chalk paint and the wax give the cushions a soft vinyl feeling. Almost like suede. Water does not get into them. When it rains a lot, the water pools in the center of the cushions. Because we live in a dusty area I need to clean them every few weeks with soap and water. I think I would have to do this with any cushion.  I am very happy with the results. And maybe we will take care of these one's and put them away for the winter :) 












5 comments:

  1. This is the first time I've heard of chalk paint. Seems like a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We were the proud owners of a nasty set of patio cushions. We are ashamed ... coutdoorpatio.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I realize that this is an older post, but I am getting ready to do this on a set of faded cushions. I am new to chalk paint, but my friend, who had been chalk painting for a while, says that if I put wax on the cushions, they will feel sticky and the wax won't cure. It seems that the wax worked for you, so I'm wondering if MinWax is a better choice than the chalk paint wax that I have. Any thought?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm thinking if it was sticky there was too much wax and or it wasn't buffed out enough. Good luck!

      Delete
    2. I'm thinking if it was sticky there was too much wax and or it wasn't buffed out enough. Good luck!

      Delete

Search This Blog