Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Making my own chalk paint


This summer I have embarked on the most amazing journey of crafting. After I fell in love with chalk paint I simply had to paint everything I own with it. However, sadly dear sweet chalk paint is a pricey friend and with only a small budget to spend on crafting I needed to come up with a viable solution.








The recipe:

Supplies:
1 can (quart/gallon/sample size) of your paint of choice
Measuring cups (preferably not the ones you use to cook but if your desperate they clean up fairly well- don't tell my hub)
Plaster of Paris
Stirring Sticks
Access to warm water
Bucket to mix paint (I use old yogurt tubs for smaller amounts)

Ingredients
1.5 cups of paint
1/2 cup of warm water
1/2 cup of plaster of paris

Steps
Mix 1/2 cup of warm water with 1/2 cup of plaster of paris in your mixing container. Stir until plaster of paris is dissolved. Slowly add paint and mix together with stirring stick. Once your paint is mixed you are ready to paint.

What I discovered about home made chalk paint...

The paint does not store well. The plaster of paris can harden if not dissolved properly so you will want to use as much as possible after you mix. The paint goes on a lot like brand name chalk paints, it dries just as quickly and you will need 2-3 coats to achieve complete coverage. Because of the plaster of paris the home made kind has a grainer texture than brand name chalk paint. It is best used on textured furniture. It can be harder to achieve a smooth look for those smooth laminate pieces. Make sure you sand between each coat, this will reduce the amount of grain later. You can also use waxes like normal.  Overall, home made chalk paint works great for me! I have at least 15 quarts of half used paint that now can have a purpose. For new colors I shop the reject section at Ace and Walmart. I found Wally world has a lot more rejected bright colors than home depot or Ace. I am not sure why. Maybe it's cheaper so people are willing to try dangerous colors. Not sure but a rejected can of paint is usually marked down 50%. Gallon of grey for $9 - yes please!



Here are a few things I have painted using Chalk Paint by CoCo. 









































Check out painting fabric cushions with homemade chalk paint chalk paint experiment: patio cushions  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog