Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Many uses for cheap hooks

I most recently purchased a box of plastic cup hooks. I planned on using them to hang mugs (we have an abundance and clearly needed to make room), but I soon discovered they could be used for many more purposed. We went hook crazy and used every last one.





We began in the kitchen where our mission was to solve the aforementioned overload if mugs. Since I wasn't allowed to get rid of any of hubs mugs and I clearly had no intention of goodwilling mine we had to solve the problem with hooks. This process did occur in two separate occasions. The first attempt occurred one evening when I was all alone and ready to check things off my list. I got out all my supplies, pinterest searched "hot to install hooks" and got straight to work. The instructions I found indicated that I should use a tack to create the initial hole then simply screw in the hook by hand. Super easy! I think not. I pushed the tack in then with all my might tried to screw in the hook.


After 15 minutes of grunting and leaning and adjusting I gave up and realized I am no home improver without my husband. A little vulnerability here - the Brey Burrow is entirely David's doing I simply document and assist. Alas I put my tools away and waited for another day when David was not too busy to help. Fast forward a few weeks I remembered my mission and David is home to assist. We got out the supplies: hooks, screw driver, elbow grease. I showed hub my original method and he laughed a bit but then reassured me that this could not have been done by hand, the wood was too thick to screw in without drilling a hole first.  Now I feel better. So he made small drill holes and then manually screwed in the hooks.






Now that the mugs have a place to hang out there is so much more room. Now I can actually see my mug collection and find the one I want. Although (hub says) this does not mean I get to buy more mugs. As soon as we finished hanging the mugs we were so proud and excited. We got hook crazy and began to look for other spots to place hooks. We remained in the kitchen and put hooks up for pot holders, trivets, spoon rests, and a recipe card holder.



We then went to the bedroom and attacked my disastrous jewelry set up and created a organized system of hooks. Now I wear the jewelry I have. See future post on Organized Jewelry for more details. I am amazed at the many used and purposed one can find for hooks. We would have added more elsewhere but we ran out. I am sure we could have come up with something. I still need to add more to the jewelry station so I will be picking up another $2 box of life savers very soon! In the meantime I wonder how others use or would use these little metal delights...

















No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog