Monday, October 28, 2013

Kitchen: Window Treatments

How annoying is it that a window looks naked without a window treatment. It was one of the first questions I got about the house, "What about the window treatments?" but it was put to the very bottom of the list of things to do. As I shopped around at the various stores we had gift cards to I found that very few stores carries an acceptable style with the length we needed. We actually needed several sets of shorter curtains due to our particular window needs. I finally just bought curtains (twice - the first attempt was a fail they did not look at all like the picture) and decided to shorten them myself. Yes all by myself I was going to cut and hem to make custom curtains - oh boy. I had sewed once in an "intro to sewing" class. We made napkins so I was a pro by now right.  But first like any good craft idea I had to go to joannes and buy all the professional equipment (roller cutter and cutting mat). I borrowed a friends sewing machine (thanks Amanda) and made my first attempt. Turns out I am terrified of sewing and had my husband help me through my fears. He eventually felt safe to leave me when I started yelling "I'm Sewing!" 


Proper cutting equipment

Then I pinned the hem 

Ironed it and melted the pins ...whoops 

set up the sewing machine and interpreted the directions 

and started sewing straight lines :)

LOOK I SEWED THAT





I even had extra fabric to make a table cloth which I also hemmed. Boom I am a sewing champion! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog