Sunday, August 18, 2013

Kitchen: Road to Backsplash

The backsplash that came with the house was tolerable but we wanted something different. I was given the task of removing the existing tile backsplash. David instructed me to do this carefully - I was to remove the tile without going through the drywall, just tap it off gently. Well...the tiles were not put on very well so the tiles were super hard to remove. I used a crow bar to nick off pieces bit by  bit while my mother-in-law smashed pieces with a hammer to get them loose. Several feet in we were exhausted and had cause several puncture holes in the dry wall. 

Back Splash Before 



Mother-in-law about to attack 
This is when we were trying not to destroy the wall 


Stress relief 
Backsplash DESTROYED 

So now that there is no wall in the Kitchen. We ran across a dilemma, we had to repair the wall before we could get the counter top template (which was happening the next day). So David sent Amanda and I on a mission to go buy "3, 8x5 1/2 inch dry wall concrete board" and "1 and 5/8 dry wall screws." We took a picture to make sure I got the right ones.



The trip to Home Depot was successful. However I am continually unimpressed with customer service there. When we asked where the dry wall was they were like aisle 6 and didn't over to help the 5feet women to get it down off the wall. He finally came over and was like uh do you guy need help. Then he looked at us kinda funny and said "soooo what are you two building...." "were not building anything but my husband needs to put a wall back in." He was very relieved to know we wouldn't be the ones building anything. Then he awkwardly said so I am guessing you'll need help loading this up. BAH YES! It wouldn't have even been a question at Ace "The Friendly Place."   We loaded it into the back of the truck and he warned us to go slow over bumps because the dry wall could crack. Cool Thanks! We made it back to Belmar, almost screaming over every bump and railroad track we drove over. 

Then David measured and cut dry wall pieces and put a wall back in where I had destroyed from Tile Demo. Oh skillful Husband - I am so thankful he knows all these things.






Yay wall is back. Now to fill and the cracks and seams we got to mud again. So we took our spatulas and filled it in. 
 No crack!

  Now is the real challenging part...choosing a backsplash! ah We bought hundreds of dollars worth of tile but then I changed my mind about them and we returned them. (I warned him this might happen). I am torn between a tin or subway tiles. But I didn't want to do white because we just ripped out white tiles. That would be stupid. So I will continue my pinterest research. 

1 comment:

  1. Lowes is better than HD. So much nicer! David is quite handy! I'm so glad you've been able to get so much help from family members. Leave a project for me to do, like build Ikea furniture.

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog